Recipe Box: Black Bean, Beef and Veggie Soup
Fall is my favorite time of the year! Well, let me be more specific: cold weather is my favorite time of the year! And with the changing of seasons comes plenty of comfort food cravings. This Beef, Black Bean and Veggie soup is thick, creamy, hearty and comes together in less than 30 minutes (you know, like when it's 6pm, everyone's hungry and the chicken is still frozen on the counter)!
Try this out - You could easily double the recipe to feed a crowd or even omit the beef to make it vegetarian. And the easiest part is that you probably have most of the ingredients in your pantry and freezer right now. So, pour yourself a glass of wine and let's make dinner together.
Beef, Black Bean and Veggie Soup
- 1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 1 lb 80/20 grass fed ground beef
- 3 cans black beans
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chili peppers
- 2 T Umami paste (you can get this at Trader Joe's)
- A splash of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
- 1 cup frozen veggie medley
- 1 tsp cumin
- Five Mary's Farm Spice Rub to taste
1. In a large soup pot, sweat the onion in EVOO.
2. In the same pot, brown the ground beef and season with plenty of M5 spice rub. Drain the fat.
3. In a food processor, add 2 cans of black beans (undrained) and blend until almost completely smooth. Add that mixture to the pot along with the 3rd can of whole black beans. Season with M5 spice rub.
4. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, chili peppers, cumin, ACV and Umami paste. Give it a good stir until the pastes dissolve.
5. Add the frozen veggies and allow them to heat through for a couple minutes.
6. Give it a taste for final seasoning and serve with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, plenty of chopped cilantro and squeeze of lime.
Give it a try and let me know how you liked it! Enjoy!